Restoration News research director Hayden Ludwig was interviewed on the Grand Canyon Times Podcast with Leyla Gulen on Nov. 1, 2023. From the interview (available to listen here):
- Ludwig discusses Mark Zuckerberg’s donation of $400 million to two nonprofits, primarily the Center for Tech in Civic Life (CTCL) based in Chicago.
- This money was used to aid county election officials in running their elections.
- Ludwig’s research suggests that this money favored Democratic cities, potentially influencing the election results.
- Louisiana recently passed an initiative to ban “Zuck bucks,” becoming the 26th state to do so.
Dark Money in Politics
- Ludwig explains that billions of dollars are tied up in thousands of nonprofit organizations that influence politics.
- The left has been more effective at using these nonprofits for political purposes, bypassing traditional party committees.
- This strategy involves registering new voters who are likely to vote Democrat based on demographics.
- Despite the left’s significant financial advantage in this area, Ludwig is optimistic about the right’s chances due to the Democratic Party’s shift from a national to a regional focus.
- Ludwig said he believes that the Democratic Party’s reliance on specific demographics and neglect of broader outreach will be its downfall.
- He predicts that the Democratic Party is locking itself out of a majority for the next generation.
- However, he acknowledges that states with large cities like California, Illinois, and New York still predominantly vote Democrat due to the influence of those cities.
- Ludwig believes that while immediate changes might not be visible, there will be significant shifts in the political landscape in the coming years.